Looking for information on periodontic care? Continue reading to learn about situations when a dentist might recommend periodontics. Periodontal disease, also known as gum disease, is a serious oral health issue that can result in tooth loss and severe infections. Periodontal disease may be contained and handled with periodontal procedures such as deep cleanings.Patients experiencing…
Periodontics Care for Healthy Gums
Periodontics focuses mainly on the inflamed and irritated gums that will destroy your oral health. Periodontal disease affects your teeth, gums, and the supporting structures around the teeth.
If you are suffering from any gum disease symptoms, you could benefit by visiting a dentist. Dentists help patients prevent gum disease and is the most qualified to diagnose gum disease.
Everyone should take a very detailed approach when it comes to their oral health. Proper dental hygiene is the best way to prevent periodontal disease, among other dental issues. Talk to your dentist at every checkup to ensure you are doing everything possible to prevent periodontal disease.
What are the four stages of gum disease?
Periodontal disease is also called gum disease. If you are diagnosed with this disease, you need periodontics. This specialty is very specifically focused on treating all stages of gum disease.
- Gingivitis is the earliest form of gum disease. You may notice inflamed and irritated gums accompanied by bleeding when brushing your teeth
- A small loss of bone that supports your teeth will come second. At first, this stage isn’t easily visible, making it even more important to see your dentist regularly
- As more bone and gum tissue is lost as gum disease progresses, you will notice your teeth loosening and more bleeding and irritated, inflamed gums
- Advanced periodontitis is the most severe and last stage of gum disease. In this stage, you will have very loose teeth (maybe already suffered tooth loss), which may affect how you bite and chew and eat your food
No matter what stage you may be in, it is never too late to get serious about your oral health and see a general dentist.
How to treat periodontal disease
Once you seek treatment for periodontal disease, you can expect the following treatment plan.
- Scaling – This procedure will remove all tartar and bacteria from the tooth surface and help get rid of what is underneath your gum line.
- Antibiotics – You may be prescribed oral or topical antibiotics to help clear up any bacterial infection.
- Root planing – This treatment smooths the root surfaces and prevents the future buildup of tartar and bacteria
Your dentist will recommend the best treatment for your specific needs.
How to prevent gum disease
- Don’t smoke or use any tobacco
- Replace your toothbrush every three months
- Floss daily (more if possible)
- Brush your teeth at least two times a day and if you are able, brush after every time you eat.
- Use a dentist-recommended mouthwash
- Buy an electric toothbrush to help more between dental visits
- See your dentist every six months for your routine checkups
If you follow these simple guidelines, you will benefit for years to come by keeping your original teeth and maintaining a healthy smile.
If you suffer from gum disease, regardless of your healthy oral routine or any other reason, see a professional immediately and find out how to benefit from periodontics.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Periodontics in Somerville, MA.
Flossing can help patients take extra steps to keep their teeth clean and prevent infection.With such a focus on cleaning the visible surface of the teeth, it can be easy for people to forget about the structure of their teeth. You may not even realize that the structure of the teeth is just as susceptible…
Call us for information on the dental implant procedure and how a dental implant can help you.With the dental implant procedure, we can replace missing teeth to provide you with a natural-appearing and fully-functional artificial tooth. During a consultation, we will determine if you are a candidate for dental implants. One requirement is that your…
Visiting the dental office for checkups and dental cleaning can be inconvenient. However, cleaning appointments are an important investment. Read on to learn about why dental cleanings are necessary. It can be useful to know why teeth cleanings are important for those who do not think much about the cleaning process. The dental professional can…